I think many of us can agree that this time of social distancing/quarantine has proved to be more of a challenge than anticipated. Many people have had to quickly adapt and learn how to work from home which can actually be a lot harder than you would think. Prior to the pandemic I already worked from home 100% of the time so that piece of the transition was easy for me.
One of the things I have found during the last few weeks to be most valuable is having a routine and sticking with it. I want to share a few things that have helped me stay productive and focused even when the quarantine days seem to drag on.
- Wake up early. I am not a morning person by any means and am generally just a little slower moving in the morning. But every day I’m sure to wake up to give myself enough time to get ready, make coffee, and get myself ready for my workday. Basically, I just try avoiding rolling out of bed and having to walk straight to my desk.
- Get dressed and ready. No, I don’t mean you have to sit at your dining room table in a full suit (unless you want to, more power to you); all I am saying is get up, get dressed, maybe even put some makeup on. Do what it takes to make yourself feel confident and ready for your day ahead!
- Eat Lunch. Somedays I find it really easy to forget about lunch and then 3:00 rolls around and my head starts hurting and I feel exhausted and wonder why…
- Make a list. First thing in the morning make a list of tasks you want to accomplish that day. It will be good to cross them off throughout the day and at the end of the day, you will see exactly what you achieved. These can be really small things if you want!
- Take breaks and get fresh air. I typically take 2-3 walks a day. This is a great way to keep my body moving, get fresh air, and to take a step away from my computer.
- Stay off social media. Right now social media can be totally consuming. If you have to check it, set aside a few minutes during breaks to look at it. Try your best not to be reading news article after news article full of bad news. In general, I try to consume very little from the news these days.
I am by no means an expert on how to thrive during quarantine, but I am trying to make the most of my days and stay positive. I find power in routine, positivity, and movement.
Let me know what you’re doing to normalize your life right now!